Wednesday 16 October 2013

Stops, starts and Psalms

The way to the bus stop goes over four roads, there and back again.  Two have traffic lights which while indicating when it should be safe for those of us on foot are primarily for the flow of the motorised wheeled vehicle.  However one road has my favourite set of lights ever!  Does that sound like an odd thing to have a favourite of? These light are on a main thoroughfare in the place I live.  I have been crossing it for more years than I might like to own to.  For the greater portion of that time no permanent crossing aid existed.  Indeed, there were lollipop people (did that date me? aren't they crossing patrols or something equally politically correct but much less delightful termed  now?) a few of which were painfully unsuccessful at stopping cars and I do mean that literally.  However, outside school hours, nothing.  On evenings the road can be particularly busy and in the dark hard to judge when it is safe. Leaving me standing for what seemed like extended periods of time waiting to cross.  Of course the pervading memory is that those times were always in the rain and cold.
Traffic lights I love you.

Then wonders of wonders they put in the pedestrian traffic lights. What a delight, it reduced the time there and back. Not long after that I was asked in a Sunday school class to write a psalm of thanksgiving and praise for something everyday to help us understand the gratitude we should have for all things and the symbolism that can be found in the seemingly ordinary.  So what else could I write my psalm about, so here it is..


 Weather morn, day or night
  especially rain or snowing
 I give thanks for the light
that offers me safety
 and speeds me on.
Jewel colours, bright green
amber and red,
Halting the traffic
letting me move instead.
Years in the darkness
I've been alone
Making my choices
to go or to stay.
Praise for the light that
now guides my way.
               

I wanted to share my joy with the planners and builders but I never did  get round to it.  So at this time to any who might chance across this blog who give us two footed travellers devices to helps make our way in this motorised world...Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Have you moved this one from earlier in the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It got moved by accident when I added the picture, as it did not fit in its new place in July I removed it and have waited till it fits in on the journey home instead of the journey out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, glad to see it back at last!!

    ReplyDelete